Say a Big Hello to Sew Confident Loyal - Jane!
1. So Jane, How long have you been sewing?
I’ve always wanted to learn to sew and I took a short beginners class about 2 years ago. I loved it but wanted to do more and I wanted to make things that I’d actually wear/use. About a year ago I found Sew Confident and haven’t looked back since!!
2. Why did you start sewing?
I’ve always wanted to sew my own clothes. You know when you see that ‘almost’ perfect outfit but wish the sleeves were a bit different, the length was longer/shorter or it was in a different material. I just think it is amazing to be able to alter or make your own clothes to be exactly what you personally want.
3. Sounds like we could have a future fashion designer in our classes... What sewing project are you most proud of?
I love my wee 2 piece suit from Colette’s Co-ord class. The material is so nice and it’s fleecy on the inside so keeps me nice and cosy!! Colette taught me how to incorporate the fringing detail from the edge of the fabric and I think it looks really fab! My own version of a Channel jacket!! I also like my coat I made at the pattern class – it was a bit adventurous and the 1st time I’ve done something that is lined, but I think it turned out ok.
4. Both your co-ord and jacket look AMAZING! You will be giving Channel a run for their money in no time. What do your friends and family think about your sewing skills, are they impressed or do they use you as a free alterations service?
I think they’re just astonished I can do it!! Haha. I remember showing my Mum some fabric I got one day. I was so excited about it that I went ahead and cut a wrap dress out that night and sewed it up. She couldn’t believe it when she saw the finished dress the very next day!! No one has really asked me to hem anything yet – maybe they’re waiting for me to build my skills up!!
5. That is so nice, there really is no better feeling than saying you made something yourself! SO, What sewing accessory could you not live without?
Jenny and Colette on speed dial!! ☺ haha! Actually – this is a bit silly, but since Jenny taught me how to use the needle threader on my machine, I can’t live without it!! I don’t think I can actually thread the machine needle by myself anymore!
6. You know you are more than welcome to drop us a message or e-mail whenever you need!! Next question, If you could go back to your beginner days and give yourself one sewing tip or piece of advice what would it be?
Probably a bit predictable but...Just keep sewing and don’t worry too much about mistakes. No-one else notices them! I think I put myself under pressure to make everything absolutely perfect but you’ll never get any better unless you keep practising.
7. Since your beginner days, have you had any sewing disasters?
Yes! Loads! I can be a bit slap dash so end up unpicking things all the time!!
8. Sadly I think the unpick is most sew-ers best friend!! How many classes have you attended?
I’m a bit addicted to attending classes!! My first was the shirt dress class which was amazing. Lovely people on it (looking at you Amanda and Amrit!) and it was the first time I’d been able to make something I actually wanted to wear! I’ve done the overlocker for beginners, underwear class, Advent Calendar class, 5 week Pattern class (with another amazing bunch of people) , 121’s and Colette’s Co-ord class. I’ve got the Initial hand embroidery class coming up which looks amazing. I adore the ‘Sewcial’s’ too and get to as many as possible. One of the best things about every class is the lovely people you meet – we’ve had some great chat and interesting stories.
9. That is a LOT of classes, You really are a Sew Confident Loyal!! What would you like to be able to sew in the future, what is the dream?
My dream is to be able to draft my own patterns – just think up a design and be able to draft a pattern and make it. I’d also like to become more skilled in altering bought patterns to fit me the way I want. At my last 121 with Jenny we drafted a pattern for a jersey skirt (I have a new obsession with the pattern master – what a piece of kit!!) and it’s fab – I’d like to do more of that.
10. **Takes note of future pattern drafting class idea**...What projects do you have on the go right now?
I’m so naughty for starting loads of projects at one time!! I tried to focus myself this year with the ‘make 9 in 2018’ challenge. I’ve already finished some – next one to finish is the Sew Over It Eve dress – I’m taking that one to the next Sewcial for a bit of help!
11. We are excited to see you & your project along at the Sewcial! Last question, What would you say to someone who was thinking of taking up sewing?
DO IT! It is so relaxing and de-stressing, it’s an amazing skill to have and you’ll meet some really lovely people.